NATURE'S GUIDE NATURAL CORN GLUTEN MEAL 9-0-0, CORN GLUTEN MEAL
Contains slow release nitrogen. 100% pure corn gluten meal. Adds organic matter and increases microbial activity. Non-burning.
Covers up to 3,000 sq ft.
9-0-0 natural fertilizer from 60% corn gluten meal in a fine powdery form. Often used for its pre-emergent weed control virtue.
One of the most important breakthroughs in organic lawn care has its roots in a fortunate accident by Iowa State University researcher Nick Christians. The natural herbicide that resulted from his research (made from corn gluten meal) is now patented, and is licensed for use in turf and home gardens as an alternative to weed and feed products.
Corn gluten meal is a powdery by product of the corn milling process. Used for years as a supplement in hog feed, this natural protein is very effective for lawns and gardens as a plant food as well as a weed suppressor. Corn gluten meal products offer a non-toxic, yet effective alternative to traditional, chemical-based weed and feed products for weed control in gardens and lawns, paths and driveways.
As a plant food, corn gluten has a N-P-K ratio of 9-1-0, or 10% nitrogen by weight. As a weed suppressant, corn gluten acts as a natural "pre-emergent" - it inhibits seed germination by drying out a seed as soon as it cracks open to sprout. These qualities make corn gluten an ideal 'weed n feed' product.
Corn gluten natural weed control
All-natural pre-emergence weed control adds nitrogen to your beautiful organic lawn while preventing new weeds from sprouting!
Apply in early spring, 3 - 5 weeks before weeds begin to sprout. Apply again in late fall.
• Coverage depends on which form of corn gluten you're using, so read the package for accurate application. In general, however, corn gluten is applied at 20 - 40 lbs per 1000 sq ft.
• Corn gluten will not work until wetted, so wet it down using a fine soft spray after applying.
• One application effectively suppresses weeds for 4 - 6 weeks. Heavy soils, protracted rainy weather and hot spells may require monthly application.
• Corn gluten is effective for preventing weeds in lawns, but is not intended to be used for weed control in garden beds.
• Effects are cumulative. Results improve with repeated use over time.